Saturday, June 1, 2013

Science and Religion

The past couple weeks have been stressful with the sheer volume of work that has been coming at us, and I think I can look forward to another crazy week coming up soon. So, I'm taking the weekend to recharge my batteries and remember some of the projects that really had me excited.



The Buddha sat 14 inches from the lotus flower base to the top of his head. The bronzed wood box added about another 5 inches. The whole statue is made of modeling chocolate, brushed with edible  powder pigment to get a bronzed effect. The wood box is in fact a huge block of Rice Crispies. Time taken: approx. 18-20 hours.



This order was for a group of geneticists who study fruit flies. I actually had the rare opportunity to meet the clients who ordered this cake. When they told me what they had in mind, I let them know there would be fighting amongst the sculptors to get to make this one. Its sciencey, its anatomical, its creepy, cute, and gross (all at once,) and it freaked out the decorators, so I loved every second of this project. The little hairs are bits of floral wire. The same wire runs through the legs are the silhouette of one of the wings. The rest of it is solid white chocolate. Time taken: Approx. 16 hours.

No comments: